The following is a draft of a proposed Betawiki:FAQs page with proposed links from the support page and the Translating:Intro pages. Please add comments below the draft.
- 1 How is the work done on Betawiki connected to other wikis?
- 2 I have changed a message but the old one is still appearing on Betawiki
- 3 Why is this wiki designed in Finnish?
- 4 How is each language translation managed on Betawiki?
- 5 How do I find information on the system messages?
- 6 Old messages
- 7 How do I find out about the magic word PLURAL?
- 8 Comments on this draft
How is the work done on Betawiki connected to other wikis?
When translations, new or updated, are 'committed' by a developer (at present Nike) what happens is that the master copy of wiki software kept at MediaWiki.org is updated. This process is explained on Translating:Process#_Getting_things_into_Wikimedia _and_other_MediaWikis. This master copy on MediaWiki.org is used:
- as the sourcecode for each new wiki set up by Wikimedia or any other person
- for updating the sourcecode for all Wikimedia projects including all the Wikipedias, Commons, all Wictionaries, etc. This updating process should happen within a few days of the updated code being committed to Wikimedia.
I have changed a message but the old one is still appearing on Betawiki
Why is this wiki designed in Finnish?
This wiki is designed by the developer Nike in his first language, Finnish. The following vocabulary list might be useful in navigating the site.
Quick guide to Finnish vocab
Some useful vocab:
- January – Tammikuuta
- February – Helmikuuta
- March – Maaliskuuta
- April – Huhtikuuta
- May – Toukokuuta
- June – Kesäkuuta
- July – Heinäkuuta
- August – Elokuuta
- September – Wyyskuuta
- October – Lokukuuta
- November – Marraskuuta
- December – Joulukuuta
- Preferences – asetukset
- Allpages – kaikki sivut
- Main – sivut
- Betawiki talk – keskustelu Betawikistä
- User – käyttäjäsivu
- Template – Malline
- Template talk – Keskustelu mallineesta
- Category – Luokka
How is each language translation managed on Betawiki?
A control page is set up by the developers when work starts on any language eg Betawiki:LanguageIt.php and MessagesIt.php, for Italian (It). This page contains a lot of information about the language and the current version (if any) of the interface translation held on mediawiki. This page is also used to record events to do with the progress of the language translation also.
The list of languages being maintained is on Translating:Languages (as explained on Translating:How to start). The name of your languge on this list should be in blue because it should have a wiki link to the 'Betawiki:LanguageXX.php and MessagesXX.php' page (for language code XX). If it is not on the list then go to the category of language and message pages on Luokka:Languages or go to the list on all pages Special:prefixindex/project:Language.
If there is more than 1 maintainer of a language then you could use the talk page of the Betawiki:LanguageXX.php and MessagesXX.php to discuss the translation amongst that language translation group, eg. [].
How do I find information on the system messages?
Betawiki is slowly putting together pages of information on the system messages which should be useful to the translator - information on context, etc.
- To read the information on a particular message do the following:
- Assuming you are in the translate special page for your language, click on the link to the message talk page eg Aboutpage/talk.
- You will go to the message talk page in your language, eg.  for Italian. The URL box will have the following where XX is your language code: http://nike.users.idler.fi/dev/?title=Keskustelu_j%C3%A4rjestelm%C3%A4viestist%C3%A4:Aboutpage/xx&action=edit. Delete the language code and whatever is to the right of it and replace it with "info", eg change  to 
- Press enter and you will go to the info talk page for the message.
- This may be empty or it may have some templates giving notes about the system message, which may be useful for the translators.
- To go back to the message in your language press the back button on your browser and then the message tab.
- Some more examples of info pages:
- To find translation hints on some groups of messages go to Allmessages/hints.
- To navigate your way through categories of messages go to Catalogization_of_MediaWiki_messages. At September 2007 cataloguing has begun but has a long way to go so be prepared to be disappointed when using this for now.
If you are using the messages from another wiki, eg Wikipedia, to update messages on Betawiki then you will notice that some messages have been deleted. They have a warning message 'Warning: You are recreating a page that was previously deleted', eg [:en:Mediawiki:Exif-aperturevalue]. If you come across any of those then you can skip over them in Betawiki too. These messages are old messaes that are no longer used. If the message has –old in the title then that also means that the message i s old and there is no need to translate it or edit the translation.
Sometimes in Betawiki the message info page is listed on Ignored messages. Again please leave without editing.
How do I find out about the magic word PLURAL?
If the grammar for plural in your language is different from the grammar for plural in the language that your translation is based upon then you are going to need to have a special Plural function designed for your language. For example, if your translation is based on English, but the grammar for plural in your language is not [word/grammar for 1][word/grammar for all numbers except 1] then your LanguageXx.php file will need to include a definition for plural in your language. If you don't know computer code then all you need do is describe how plural works in your language, with an example for each number, or group of numbers, which has a different plural, and ask a developer to code this for you.
As at September 2007 the sourcecode can cope with a language having 5 different groups of numbers (see Translating:Interface_translation/guidelines). However, if your language needs to differentiate between more than 5 different groups of numbers then, again, a developer can fix this for you.