Setup of a new project
Verify the project
- Quality of strings
- Message documentation
- Activity and interest (releases, contact person)
- File format
- Push access
Edit repoconfig.json and repoconfig.commit.json, bin/EXTERNAL-PROJECTS bin/REPONG-PROJECTS in the translatewiki repository.
Also update-externals.sh for myself, not currently in version control.
GitHub read-only mirror link: https://github.com/wikimedia/translatewiki/
Ensure push-access is given either to L10n-bot (wikimedia gerrit) or Niklas and Siebrand (GitHub or BitBucket)
Some documentation exists at Repository management, but it is mostly outdated by the new repong framework, where most projects have already been converted to.
Message group configuration
Lots of examples under groups/ in translatewiki repo. Old but mostly still valid documentation: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Group_configuration_example
Need some info such as logo and message group description done in the next section.
Choosing a group id:
- Practice is to use lowercase letter with dashes as level separators in case of multiple groups
- Prefix "out-" is deprecated and should not be used for new projects
- In case of multiple groups, suffixes like "-0-all" are deprecated. Aggregate group should get the top level name, i.e. "blockly" and it should take all groups names "blockly-*"
TranslateSettings.php needs updated to register the yaml file, possibly new namespace as well if none of the existing ones fit.
Translating:projectname needs to be created (copy template from Translating:FreeCol) for example. Logo needs to be in Commons or uploaded to translatewiki.net
Description needs to be added to https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Group_descriptions and page marked for translation.
Other misc things:
- Add babel templates (this very often is forgotten to do - the whole thing should be automatized)
- Add support to Template:Support and relevant categories