Deleting unused strings from translated language files
I'm posting this here since you don't seem to be responding to @translatewiki mentions in GitHub pull requests...
The question is, is it OK to directly modify foreign language files (translated and committed by translatewiki) ? Would that have an impact or cause problems, and if so, what ?
Specifically, this relates to the following commits in the above-mentioned PR:
You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:
The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Users.
You can view and copy the source of this page.Nemo (talk)
Thanks for your reply.
Please note that the actual translations have not been modified at all. Changes to foreign language files are :
- removed unused strings ==> From your reply, I understand is that by deleting the string myself, I'm only anticipating on what translatewiki.net would do anyway, so that should not cause any issue. Is that right ?
- moving strings around in the file (without changing anything) ==> I assume this has no impact, can you confirm ? (note, this was done to have consistent ordering of strings across all language files)
- renaming a language string (i.e. not the translation itself, but the string's identifier) ==> this is the one I'm really not sure about. I would think yes based on what the FAQ says, but since it also mentions informing the staff...
- removed unused strings --> This should be fine but would recommend doing it only for the source language and not the foreign language files.
- moving strings around in the file --> Again no issues here and should be fine.
- renaming a language string --> This is also fine. Thanks for the ping regarding this. We will review and do the necessary renaming on our end, which is quite easy.
FYI the pull request https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt/pull/1564 has been merged a few minutes ago, feel free to do your magic at your next convenience.