Help! pt-br translations in pt
First of all, I'm not a vandal, as this user above tries to say. As I don't intend to make this a war, some words are very similar (only one letter different), these ones I agree to revert, but this represent only a few messages. The real problem comes now:
Let's make some things clear:
- There are two main countries that speak Portuguese: Brazil and Portugal. According to http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportPageViewsPerCountryOverview.htm Brazil has 3% of page views in wikipedia and Portugal has 0.4%. That's a big difference, but in fact, the pt version, is an european portuguese version, because most of messages were translated by portuguese editors. What I wanna do is changing some words to brazilian version, because we are much more users.
- In the past, there was a "pt-pt" (european portuguese) version, but was removed due to lack of translations
- Some users (not brazilians) translated a lot of messages in pt-br, and I had to correct some. If you want to block someone, block these editors who translated a version they don't speak.
- I remember the namespace "User" was "Usuário" and somebody changed to "Utilizador", and I didn't see this user complaining about it.
"The other category ("pt") is for the European Portuguese version, end of story."
YOU ARE KIDDING!!! Where is it written that pt is European Portuguese? Do you know in the past there were pt-pt (really European Portuguese) and it was removed?
LOL? Don't be ridiculous... With just a little research on the internet it's easy to find that language code "pt" corresponds to Portuguese of Portugal (European Portuguese)! So the "pt-pt" category was redundant in this case!
Do a search on the internet and stop creating accounts to revert me.
First, you have not proved anything yet. And most interesting, pt version is default on portuguese projects, so the majority of users (most from brazil) are reading an entirely european version, because pt-br only appears if you chenge your preferences. Brilliant.
First, I don't have to prove anything. Only takes a few seconds to search on internet and prove what I'm saying. Second, if you have that option to switch to "pt-br", what is the point of having Brazilian on portuguese european version? Why Europeans can't have their own version? You're just being ridiculous... Third, it's not cool creating other accounts to do your vandalism.
Hello Luckas, thanks for your efforts: working on consistency of translation in very important. However, please keep (or move) pt-br translations in the pt-br language code: I'm not aware of any case in MediaWiki where a locale (like Brasilian Portuguese) is allowed to use two language codes (like pt and pt-br at the same time).
- If you want "pt" to contain the "pt-br" locale, please propose it on portal talk:Pt and reach a consensus among translators. The consensus will need to be supported by sources on the definition of said language codes.
- If you just want Wikipedia to default to pt-br because of the number of visitors, propose on w:pt:Wikipédia:Esplanada that the wiki's interface language be changed to pt-br (see m:Requesting_wiki_configuration_changes).
In case of further changes (especially mass changes) made outside of the process outlined above, I'll be forced to remove your translator flag.