Gender in namespace names
What's the way to have "Usuario:Name" or "Usuaria:Name" localized according to the male or female gender in titles of user pages?
- For MediaWiki: provide them here and we will commit them
- For Wikimedia (if they have overriden the user namespace to say wikimedian for example): file a bug in bugzilla to wikimedia/language setup.
Here are the translations in format male (current and default)/female:
- User: -> Usuario: (male and default)/Usuaria: (female)
- User_talk -> Conversa_usuario: (male and default)/Conversa_usuaria: (female)
And, if possible, please localize Portal namespace into Galician:
- Portal: -> Portal: (remains unchanged)
- Portal_talk: -> Conversa_portal:
And I think we don't need further action for Wikimedia wiki. Thanks!
Last edit: 15:43, 19 April 2012
Portal is a non-default namespace name, so that's set on a wiki level, not on MediaWiki level.
We've Portal namespace enabled on gl.wikipedia, so I guess we need to create a bug in Bugzilla to translate it? Is that right?
Well, you should probably have had the portal namespace created in "gl" from the start. Now you should:
- request the namespace name to be changed
- the old name to be added as a namespace alias.
I think that option didn't depend on us. We have the Portal namespace added by default (maybe I'm wrong). In fact, we haven't requested it, I think. Moreover, this is the list with all pages in Portal namespace (just 15). Actually, as you can see, we don't use it at all. But my request was to substitute the English text with the Galician.
On the other had, if we change the namespace name, would it affect to the rest of wikis (apart from Wikipedia and sister projects) if they decide to enable Portal namespace? I mean, would they have "Conversa_portal:" as discussion namespace instead of "Portal_talk:" (which would be a redirect)?
Anyways, leaving Portal issue appart, can you commit the change to have male and female version of User namespace in Galician?
r99630, should be deployed by next Monday at the latest. See also https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31622