Hello, dear Betawiki user.
This is our fourth e-mail newsletter. It intends to keep you updated on Betawiki's developments, and is also aimed at reminding you to visit http://translatewiki.net at least once every month to update the language(s) you have been contributing to in the past, so that the localisations will stay up to date.
- We have two weeks left until the end of 2008. What could be better than ending a year with with a fully translated message group? Participate in our End of Year Translation Rally and contribute now!
- In the past months we have seen a few very nice open source product added to the Betawiki supported products: Mantis, a bug tracker, and Mwlib, an open source python based MediaWiki rendering engine. See the stats later in this newsletter.
- Feature wise a special page LanguageStats has been added to show real-time translation statistics for all messages groups and Special:Translations shows all translations for a particular message.
- More detailed news is available on-wiki.
- MediaWiki core messages: 136 core messages were added since the last update bringing the total to to 2,160. There are now 164 (+34) optional messages. MediaWiki 1.13.3 was released recently; everyone is encouraged to update; it also includes the latest relevant localisations.
- MediaWiki extensions: Currently Betawiki supports 274 MediaWiki extensions, which is an increase of 30 since the last update. In total the supported MediaWiki extensions have 5,974 (+1,313) normal messages, and 139 (+13) optional messages.
- Mantis: Localisation of Mantis is still growing; no effort has been made yet to get previous 'off-line' translators to Betawiki. This will be done in the coming month. Current message volume is 1,176 normal messages and 6 optional messages.
- FreeCol: Localisation of FreeCol is continuing as normal, support for more languages is progressing steadily. FreeCol 0.8.0 alpha 3 is available for download. Please update your translations for the release version. Current message volume is 1,714 (+64) regular messages and 455 (+95) optional messages. Contributions are especially welcome to the languages that are near the 25% inclusion criteria or already below it.
- Vocabulary trainer: this product makes it possible to use OmegaWiki word collections as input for vocabulary training. It currently contains 63 (-1) messages.
We run daily statistics on all supported products. Here is an overview of localisation statuses for the various products, and a comparison with the previous report (30 August), per 15 December 2008.
- MediaWiki: Supported languages: 322 (+1%)
- MediaWiki: 98% of most often used messages translated: 105 (-6%)
- MediaWiki: 90% translated: 64 (- 4%)
- MediaWiki: 90% Wikimedia extensions translated: 25 (-11%)
- MediaWiki: 65% Extensions translated: 17 (no change)
- FreeCol: Supported languages 88 (+11%)
- FreeCol: 90% translated: 17 (+42%)
- Vocabulary trainer: Supported languages: 56 (+27%)
- Vocabulary trainer: 90% translated: 19 (+19%)
- Mantis: Supported languages 52 (no comparison data yet)
- Mantis: 90% translated: 12 (no comparison data yet)
- Mwlib.rl: Supported languages: 13 (no comparison data yet)
- Mwlib.rl: 90% translated: 9 (no comparison data yet)
Languages with the most edits in the past month
- Ukranian (uk) (1,940 edits)
- Bosnian (bs) (1,620 edits)
- French (fr) (1,290 edits)
- Galician (gl) (1,190 edits)
- Khmer (km) (1,170 edits)
- Hebrew (he) (1,110 edits)
- Dutch (nl) (1,032 edits)
- Slovak (sk) (995 edits)
- Occitan (oc) (860 edits)
- Japanese (ja) (750 edits)
- Meno25 (11,000 edits) Languages: Arabic
- McDutchie (3,200 edits) Languages: Interlingua
- CERminator (2,800 edits) Languages: Bosnian
- Cedric31 (2,900 edits) Languages: Occitan, French
- නන්දිමිතුරු (2,900 edits) Languages: Sinhala
- Toliño (2,800 edits) Languages: Galician
- YaronSh (2,500 edits) Languages: Hebrew
- Vovk (2,100 edits) Languages: Ukrainian
- Michawiki (2,100 edits) Languages: Upper Sorbian, Lower Sorbian
- Brest (2,100 edits) Languages: Macedonian
We welcome feedback about this newsletter. Please let us know by sending a reply to this mail. We will try to accommodate your wishes.
You are one of close to 1.000 people receiving this e-mail because you have registered with Betawiki (http://translatewiki.net), the wiki for the localisation projects of MediaWiki, Mantis, FreeCol, and others. This newsletter will be sent at most once every month.
You can opt-out by visiting Betawiki, logging in, and checking the box at the bottom of the tab 'Misc' in your preferences - although we hope you will not. If you have multiple accounts with the same e-mail address, you have to opt-out for all of them.