Google Summer of Code/2009/schedule
The purpose of this schedule is to assign tasks to each week. It is used to track that project stays on schedule. Currently I aim to finish at least all non-P4 tasks.
Week 1 (36h)
- 2h P1 B (4h): Sometimes the edit area is filled with some translation, sometimes it is not
- 4h P1 F (10h): Export core special page aliases from command line
- With namespaces and magic words free
- ~33h P1 F (10h): Make message translation status checks fast
- ~2h P2 F (2h): Fix the FIXMEs in Special:LanguageStats and make it faster
- With help of Siebrand
- P2 F (2h): Create a special page with real-time statistics for an extension group.
- Still not fast enough. Postponed until we can fill the cache from command line scripts or something
- P3 F (8h): Make extension message file parser output more informative error messages than just “failed”
- Postponing this too. According to Duesentrieb we need a new parser for PHP message files. Fixed one case with wrong newlines, which is the hardest to detect.
The two above should be re-checked after Tim's work.
Week 2 (38h)
- 10h P2 F (20h): Add standard support for localisation of Magic words in MediaWiki extensions
- A bit slow but works.
- 20h P2 F (12h): Make it possible to blacklist messages from sanity checks, as some just should not be reported
- 0.5h P1 B (1h): Special:AdvancedTranslate export fails when local underlying page is not present. Gives HTML output in form.
- 15min P2 B (1h): Core-mostused group does not work on Windows
- ~4h P4 C (4h): Audit the parsing of files in the extension for problems with newlines
Week 3 (40h)
- 20h P2 F (40h): Editing of messages using AJAX
- Prototype at least... could of course be improved further
Week 4 (38h)
- 10h P2 F (20h): Basic language independent translation memory
- Just very basic, but currently I have no idea for improvements, except to automate the database creation
- 3h P2 F (18h): Fix plural handling in Gettext support
- Needs manual intervention when plural is used for the first time, because I don't want to build a database of plural rules
Week 5 (34h)
- 16h P3 F (12h): Enable Gettext po file submission through web UI
- 3h P2 F (4h): User defined assistance languages
- 2h P3 F (8h): Export for pages using tag translate, so that they can be copied to another instance of MediaWiki easily.
- There is now link in the toolbox, which links to Special:Export with all the pages. May be problems with GET-limit, but should work otherwise. – Nike 12:30, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
- 6h P1 F (10h): Check for conflicting special page alias translations inside and between languages
Week 6 (36h)
P3 F (2h): Add translation hint to fuzzy messages
- I've hesitating whether this is good solution at all, and to which problem.
- 4h P3 F (2h): Add links to extension pages in mediawiki.org at Special:Translate.
P4 F (24h): User defined fallback languages in MediaWiki
- Would require massive changes even with the new localisation system. Unlikely to happen in this project.
- P4 F (8h): Quotation consistency checking on language level
Week 7 (40h)
- P2 F (40h): Tool to track changes in English messages with web processing to enable fuzzying and “incompatible with lower branch” tagging
- Partly done, branch support missing.
- Buggy. Does not work when trying to fuzzy
Week 8 (40h)
- P4 F (20h): We should pull more data out of CLDR (time zone translations, country name translations)
- P4 F (20h): Edit message in multiple languages