|In other languages||English · français · português · العربية|
The language project is closed for now. No new applications are accepted.
- Language project description
Stichting Open Progress has received a grant from the Dutch NGO Hivos to improve the localisation of MediaWiki. This has resulted in a project which places bounties on MediaWiki localisation milestones for a list 70 to 80 languages spoken in Africa, Asia, and Latin America that have a sizeable number of speakers, but insufficient support in MediaWiki.
Project lead for this project is Siebrand. If a language you think qualifies for a bounty you are willing to work on is currently not on the list, please make a bounty request at Translating:Language project/claims and wait for approval. If your request is denied, there can be no discussion on this. Without an approved bounty request, there is no bounty.
Note: The milestones are set after a re-import of the messages currently in the target Wiki. So wait for this before translating anything that has already been translated, or some of your effort may be in vain!
The bounties in this project have been set on four milestones. Details of the bounties are in the table below. A second milestone for core messages or extension messages cannot be claimed before the first milestone has been reached. In essence, this means that two users can be involved in translating for a bounty (one for a milestone in core messages, the other for a milestone on extensions). If you choose to not collect the bounty (Donations, putting your money where your mouth is), you are of course encouraged to work on a language with as large a community as possible. If you decide not to claim bounties, the money will be re-used for this or other projects of Stichting Open Progress.
Bounties are payable after the milestone has been verified by the project lead. There should be no warnings on messages that are part of the milestones (all variables used, etc.). Bounties can be collected through a bank account, or through PayPal. Any costs for the transfer will be on the receiver's end.
The four message groups are:
- Milestone 1: 491 of the most used core messages in Wikimedia wikis. Having these messages translated means that a reader has a fairly well localised version of MediaWiki. For sysops and more experienced users, many messages will still be in English or the fall back language. 99% of these messages should be translated to reach the milestone.
- Milestone 2: 1915 non-optional messages of MediaWiki. Having these messages translated means that all functionality of the core product will have localised messages. 90% of these messages should be translated to reach the milestone.
- Milestone 3: 579 messages of extensions used in Wikimedia wikis. Having these messages translated means that all additional functionality by extensions in for example a Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons will have localised messages. 90% of these messages should be translated to reach the milestone.
- Milestone 4: 3347 messages of all supported extensions. Having these messages translated means that all additional functionality provided by extensions that are being maintained in the MediaWiki source code repository will have localised messages. 65% of these messages should be translated to reach the milestone.
|most used||99%||€ 55.00||US$ 85||491||486||486||€ 0.113|
|all core||90%||€ 65.00||US$ 101||1 915||1 724||1 238||€ 0.053|
|wmf ext||90%||€ 40.00||US$ 62||579||521||521||€ 0.077|
|all ext||65%||€ 65.00||US$ 101||3 347||2 176||1 655||€ 0.039|
|total||74%||€ 225.00||US$ 349||5 262||3 900||2 893||€ 0.078|
-  If a message group already has a partial translation, a bounty will not be paid for the part that has already been translated. For example: if language "A" has a current status of 25% for most used core messages, only 75% of the bounty is available.
-  This is the second milestone for this message group. The number of messages to be translated is "the target" minus "the target of the previous milestone".
-  Subject to change. These are numbers compiled on 11 May 2008. MediaWiki is a dynamic product and extensions can be added and removed sometimes. Milestones are reached based on the actual counts, not on the counts above.
-  The amounts in US dollars are estimated based on an exchange rate of about $US 1.55 for € 1 (end of May 2008). The bounties are paid in euros, all charges for the conversion are supported by the recipient.
This project has limited funds. From its funding it is possible to pay bounties for all milestones of several dozens of languages. Payable bounties are paid according to the principle 'first come, first served'. No more bounties are paid if funds have run out. If more bounties have been claimed than funds are available, this will be noted clearly at the approved claims page.