I am a staff member of translatewiki.net. I'm also Product Manager Language Engineering at the Wikimedia Foundation. If you would like to sponsor me for a number of hours a week to keep this project going, please contact me for a proposal.
For MediaWiki we try to commit translated messages once every day, most of the time in the evening (CET). We do not have any other products (yet) that are running live in a very exposed environment. Translations for other supported products are commited less often - this can range from days apart to weeks or months apart.
Please do not request things from me directly, but use Support. This will ensure centralised processing of everything, also when I am not active here. Please keep translatewiki.net related issues on translatewiki.net.
- Target languages with previous activity, but not any more. Try to re-activate the translators for those languages. Need volunteers that will take this up in a structured way.
- Update Project:About wrt rallies.
- Projects that may be added:
- Mailman (almost certain, some technical and legal challenges)
- multiroutemap (have to investigate)
- Fina (have to investigate)
Here is a list of issues and feature requests. This is not a road map nor does it contain any big visions, but concrete bugs and feature requests.
Primarily for translatewiki.net
- P2: Add script to truncate profiling weekly
- P2 FEATURE: Add support for community instructions for a message group. Implement with editable page in the same namespace as the translations for the message group. Key name something like "translate-group-community-desc-group-id". Add this information below a "hr", just as the URL for groups. Display a message with a link to the forementioned page at all times.
- P2 FEATURE: Badges (or some kind of honours) for experienced and active translators
- P3 FEATURE: install some kind of nag feature that will randomly encourage users to validate their e-mail address
- P3 FEATURE: allow url config word in mediawiki-defines.txt. First try to match a current group name and then use that URL, if not, use the value as a URL
- P3 FEATURE: investigate http://joeyh.name/code/mr/ for repo scripts
- PX FEATURE: Make Special:TranslationStats able to walk across years e.g. .
- P1 Improve content of Help us, Translating:How to start etc. and make translatable pages where useful. More on translate-doc pad.
- Permanent backlog at Category:Open support requests for translatewiki.net.
- PX Inform language communities of the need for translation, especially where Group statistics are deteriorating.
- PX Run queries to list all users missing babels for projects and languages they translated and add them by bot with nice thanks in an informative edit summary.
- PX Update the translators lists in language portals by bot too (or at least in ApiTranslateSandbox for new users?), or set Special:SupportedLanguages not to use portals.
Things potentially relevant for all users of Translate extension
- See also TODO markers in the source code.
- See /www/translatewiki.net/w/logs/warn.doxygen for issues with code documentation.
- More ideas in a more verbose format at the March 2013 pad.
- P1: exhaustive documentation. See Roadmap/Documentation.
- User should be able to get 1000+ translations imported in one go. Currently with 45-60 seconds processing time, only 25-30 translations are dealt with.
- P2 FEATURE: allow translation of messages in mediawiki namespace that belong to message groups
- P2 FEATURE: tool to track changes in English messages with web processing to enable 'incompatible with lower branch' tagging
- P2 FEATURE: allow easier access to translate to multiple languages (usually pairs like nl/nl-informal, de/de-formal, zh-hans/zh-hant, sr-ec/sr-el, etc.).
- P2 FEATURE: notifications for updated message groups (also on meta level)
- P3 FEATURE: install some kind of 'remind me' functionality that allows users to activate a 'nag me' feature that will send them e-mail
- P3 FEATURE: validate structure of message group definitions (=YAML files)
- P3 FEATURE: use text alignment to enhance translation memory.
- P3: allow easy creation of arbitrary secondary message groups out of a array of message group IDs.
- PX: allow direct links/filtering to the translation interface for one or more specific messages (like anchor links on tux=0, or prefix filtering on Special:AllMessages).
- PX: add support for missing insertables: all MediaWiki magic words except PLURAL and GRAMMAR (e.g. GENDER, ns, ...), projects other than MediaWiki.
- WBN: interactive plural help
- detect if message uses plural
- alert the user about it
- provide previews of the translation with different numbers
Related extensions and other code
- See tracking bug 39480, "Bugs affecting translatewiki.net (errors from MediaWiki master)".
Open and closed support requests
Support requests for this user (RSS):
Closed support requests by this user (RSS):