Approving new users
|In other languages||English · Türkçe|
Translatewiki.net does not use the regular sign-up form of MediaWiki. We use a custom process:
- User selects the languages they know, user name, password and email
- User is asked to do some example translations
- Human checks the application and approves or declines
Alternatively, developers can sign-up by leaving a note what they develop.
The goals of this process are to keep out spam accounts and vandals.
The general guidelines for approving new users are:
- They provide translations which are not gibberish (assume good faith for languages you don't know)
- Approve requests for developer sign-ups
- Send a reminder if the user hasn't provided any translations within a couple of hours
- Send a second reminder if the the user hasn't provided any translations within a day
It is a known issue that the sign-up process can be confusing, so use your judgement. For example if you see a common name or email address from a known person you can still approve the account.
The new user approvers should coordinate with each other, for example if there are vandals that try to sign-up repeatedly. In some cases you might want to defer to a system administrator who can run a CheckUser.