Are there any news about this? First tag works just fine (the one with the username included), but the second one for the interface messages doesn't. I sent an image so I can check this out and instead of a male form, it displayed me unspecified form (see this). And yes, I set my preferences to a male gender.
Edit: I just found this page which has an additional tag for gender use. I think this should be included everywhere where needed.
It really depends on the message if it works or not, and the only way to make sure it works is by testing it in the real (not previewing here) or asking a developer to look at it. That's why we need reports of messages where you want to use gender.
Sure, I understand. I am reviewing all the MediaWiki messages these days, translating untranslated and editing existing messages.
I will definitely note the messages which needs gender use. Thank you for the answer.
Here is the list of some interface messages which need gender use: http://tinypaste.com/8660f
You should add an additional tag for the user who did those actions (this applies to the messages in All public logs, which is 90% of the links above).
Thanks. This has already been registered as an issue: bugzilla:24156: Messages of log entries should support GENDER.
I see this issue is about eight months old. Are you going to do something about it soon? It's pretty important thing to do.
I'm sorry it has not been fixed and I agree it's important. However the task is quite a big and I don't have time for such things now.
The log class now supports it, so that's a good start. It would probably be a good idea to create issues in bugzilla: for each log and each extension that has log entries, and then add those to a tracking bug. It's a lot of work. No one except Niklas has so far invested any time in converting log messages, as far as I know.
This is an excellent opportunity for volunteer development. I don't think the Localisation team will make a huge push here soon.
I could look through all of the MediaWiki and extensions messages and note the ones which need GENDER support. After that, I would create a bug report on Bugzilla. Yeah, I know there are 24.000 messages, but I can give it a try. If that's what you need, of course.
For log events we can probably grep the code, which is much easier. So a list of what should be done is relatively made available easily. What is harder, is getting the actual work done. We need volunteer developers for that. If you know any that care about this area in particular, please point them my/our way, and I'll make sure that person will be trained so he's up for the job. Intermediate PHP skills and some familiarity with MediaWiki code would be nice.